Four pillars support and clarify the “Living Idealism” positioning. These are:
PERPETUAL STATE OF INGENUITY
COMMITMENT TO ACHIEVE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL
SENSE OF SHARED OWNERSHIP
PROMOTERS OF THE PUBLIC GOOD
Perpetual State of Ingenuity
- Jefferson was a bold innovator who designed a new university to produce uncommon leaders for the future of democracy.
- This “inconvenient mission” requires constant work and attention, and is dependent on novel ways of thinking. UVA remains committed to endlessly pushing forward the frontiers of knowledge.
- The Academical Village fosters ongoing cross-disciplinary exchange and was the original model for this kind of learning environment in the United States.
- The UVA community is awake to the value of its people-the “natural aristocracy of talent” coming together to form a diverse network that will push forth new thinking.
- Today, the ingenuity of UVA’s community is evident in every area of the institution and every generation of Wahoos, from unusual collaborations across academic units to countless leaders and innovators among the faculty and alumni.
Commitment to Achieve at the Highest Level
- Solid academic core and work ethic, commitment to provide the highest quality education possible.
- Heavy-hitter faculty equally committed to teaching and generating new knowledge through research.
- Eleven schools, many at the top of their respective fields.
- UVA’s Health System provides world-class care for patients, puts research insight into practice and trains the medical providers of the future.
- Students insist on excelling at all they do, with broad interests, high engagement and an appreciation for lifelong learning.
- Alumni success/proven leaders in all fields.
- Well-rounded student athletes who continue to produce renowned championship athletic teams.
Sense of Shared Ownership
- There is a profound connection between Wahoos and UVA that encourages them to carry the torch in new ways, creating and contributing to society and the UVA experience.
- Student self-governance, the Honor Code, and the value placed on students’ voices create a lasting sense of shared responsibility, playing a central role in the experience.
- Unusually high alumni engagement stemming from the sense of ownership and connection that alumni feel after their years attending UVA.
- Members of the UVA community invest in their relationships to the betterment of all involved. This commitment manifests itself in the hospital between patients and providers, on the fields between coaches and athletes, in the classroom between students and faculty, and through interactions among colleagues.
- Strong traditions/rituals carried forward (secret societies, nickels on seats, Final Exercises).
Promoters of the Public Good
- UVA’s work continues to ensure that democracies of the world are underpinned by educated citizenry.
- The University helps elevate and advance the role of higher education in shaping the larger society.
- UVA is a major contributor to the Commonwealth through economic impact, education, the arts, public health and research advancements.
- Many of UVA’s achievements stem from cross-disciplinary exchange among strong academic programs.
- A commitment to provide the safest and most effective medical care in the nation.
- A service-oriented culture, seen through significant volunteerism and civic leadership.
- UVA is a nexus of global ideas with an American perspective that educates those willing to lead a public life.