A positioning statement is a brief articulation of what an organization stands for. It is a concise, internally-facing idea intended to reflect the unique purpose and profile of the organization, and is used to shape and guide brand communications. It is NOT a tag line, which is an externally-facing phrase used primarily in marketing campaigns. For this reason, you will not see the words “Living Idealism” used in communications or marketing materials.
UVA’s positioning statement is “Living Idealism.” This phrase encapsulates the University’s distinctive culture, which centers on relentlessly striving for positive results in the self, society and the world at large.
Made up of two seemingly opposite ideas—“Living,” which is rooted in the practical, and “Idealism,” which conveys an aspirational quality—this phrase reflects a dynamic, creative tension that captures the essence of the UVA brand.
- Having life, currently or actively being used
- Line of sight from past through to future
- Relevant, active
- Shaping the lives of those who come here
- The attitude of a person who believes that it is possible to live according to very high standards of behavior and honesty
- Purpose, integrity, honor
- High ideals in action
- Scholarship for greater good
- Founded to serve