CIOs, SSOs and FOs are permitted to use the "Split-V" logo as outlined below. The Split-V is the only mark approved for CIO, SSO and FO use. It is suitable for items like T-shirts, branded tablecloths, pens, flags, etc.
CIOs, SSOs and FOs may not use any other University marks, symbols, logos, mottoes, or other indicia without written approval of the University of Virginia Licensing Program.
You can use our Dynamic Template to create a customized Split-V logo. This template will allow you to generate files that can be used for a range of applications. Instructions for creating your custom Split-V are below. The template includes these general guidelines:
- The 2-color format is preferred when using the Split-V logo. As shown above, the "V" should appear in Rotunda Orange, with the CIO/SSO/FO name in Jefferson Blue. Additional information regarding UVA color palettes can be found in these guidelines.
- For optimal effect and reproduction quality, it is recommended that no more than 12 characters be placed within the Split-V. If your group’s name exceeds this limit, you can create a two-line Split-V with 12 or fewer characters on each line.
Create a Custom Split-V Logo
Follow the directions below to use one of two Dynamic Templates to create a customized Split-V logo. The diagram at right shows which elements are static and which are customizable.
NOTE: Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer are the recommended browsers to use.
1. Determine if you need a one- or two-line Split-V. It is recommended that no more than 12 characters be placed within the Split-V. If your group’s name exceeds this limit, you can create a two-line Split-V with 12 or fewer characters on each line.
2. Open the appropriate Split-V dynamic template by clicking on "CUSTOMIZE" below. A new window will open. In the top right of the window, click the pencil icon to go to the editable template.
3. Once the template has been opened, click on the "EDIT" button over the customizable text. Enter your CIO/SSO/FO name, and if you wish, click the "PREVIEW" button at the top of the window to review your logo.
4. Once you have previewed your logo, click on the green "FINISHED"” button at the top of the window and click "YES" to confirm you have finished designing. Your new logo will be available to download in PDF, JPG and PNG formats.
What file type do you need to download?
- PDF: High resolution format – generally used for printed materials; allows you to create vector .EPS files via Adobe Illustrator
- JPG: Low resolution format (72 dpi) – generally used for digital applications (i.e. Web, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.); will have a white background
- PNG: Low resolution format (72dpi) – generally used for digital applications (i.e. Web, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.); will have a transparent background
NOTE: Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer are the recommended browsers to use when creating your Split-V logo. If you need assistance using these Dynamic Templates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incorrect Use: Split-V
Correct and consistent use of the Split-V logo is essential. The examples shown below represent some–but not all–of the ways the Split-V logo might be used incorrectly. If you have questions about the correct or incorrect use of the Split-V logo, contact University Communications at email@example.com.
Do not add a drop shadow or any other effects to the Split-V logo.
Do not use unapproved colors for the Split-V logo.
Do not use unapproved color configurations of the Split-V logo.
Do not place the Split-V logo in a container shape of any type.
Do not change the typeface of any part of the Split-V logo.
Do not rearrange or alter the elements of the Split-V logo.
Do not add additional information to the Split-V logo.
Do not place the Split-V logo on a color that does not provide sufficient contrast.
Do not place the Split-V logo on visually distracting backgrounds.