CIOs, SSOs and FOs are permitted to use both versions of the "Split-V" logo as outlined below. The Split-V is the only mark approved for CIO, SSO and FO use. Both are suitable for items like T-shirts, branded tablecloths, pens, flags, etc.
CIOs, SSOs and FOs may not use any other University marks, symbols, logos, mottoes, or other indicia without written approval of the University of Virginia Licensing Program.
Split-V: Orange and Blue
Split-V: Orange and White
You can use our Dynamic Template to create a customized Split-V logo. This template will allow you to generate files that can be used for a range of applications. If you have any questions about which logo should be used based on the background color of your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Instructions for creating your custom Split-V are below. The template includes these general guidelines:
- For optimal effect and reproduction quality, it is recommended that no more than 12 characters be placed within the Split-V. If your group’s name exceeds this limit, you can create a two-line Split-V with 12 or fewer characters on each line.
- The Split-V: Orange and White template is intended for printing on a Jefferson Blue background using a .PDF file. Upon download the text in the .PDF file will appear white. A print vendor will be able to use your file as an .EPS file via Adobe Illustrator to allow the white text to show up on a dark background.
Create a Custom Split-V Logo
Follow the directions below to use one of two Dynamic Templates to create a customized Split-V logo. The diagram at right shows which elements are static and which are customizable.
NOTE: Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer are the recommended browsers to use.
1. Determine if you need a one- or two-line Split-V. It is recommended that no more than 12 characters be placed within the Split-V. If your group’s name exceeds this limit, you can create a two-line Split-V with 12 or fewer characters on each line.
2. Open the appropriate Split-V dynamic template by clicking on "CUSTOMIZE" below. A new window will open. In the top right of the window, click the pencil icon to go to the editable template.
3. Once the template has been opened, click on the "EDIT" button over the customizable text. Enter your CIO/SSO/FO name, and if you wish, click the "PREVIEW" button at the top of the window to review your logo.
4. Once you have previewed your logo, click on the green "FINISHED"” button at the top of the window and click "YES" to confirm you have finished designing. Your new logo will be available to download in PDF, JPG and PNG formats.
What file type do you need to download?
- PDF: High resolution format – generally used for printed materials; allows you to create vector .EPS files via Adobe Illustrator
- JPG: Low resolution format (72 dpi) – generally used for digital applications (i.e. Web, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.); will have a white background
- PNG: Low resolution format (72dpi) – generally used for digital applications (i.e. Web, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.); will have a transparent background
NOTE: Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer are the recommended browsers to use when creating your Split-V logo. If you need assistance using these Dynamic Templates, please contact email@example.com.
Incorrect Use: Split-V
Correct and consistent use of the Split-V logo is essential. The examples shown below represent some–but not all–of the ways the Split-V logo might be used incorrectly. If you have questions about the correct or incorrect use of the Split-V logo, contact University Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not add a drop shadow or any other effects to the Split-V logo.
Do not use unapproved colors for the Split-V logo.
Do not use unapproved color configurations of the Split-V logo.
Do not place the Split-V logo in a container shape of any type.
Do not change the typeface of any part of the Split-V logo.
Do not rearrange or alter the elements of the Split-V logo.
Do not add additional information to the Split-V logo.
Do not place the Split-V logo on a color that does not provide sufficient contrast.
Do not place the Split-V logo on visually distracting backgrounds.